Roxan are one of the most reputed suppliers of livestock ID solutions in the UK. They approached us to design and deploy a livestock RFID tag that offers longer range (2-3m) than traditional LF RFID systems (15cm), is more robust than UHF labels and works consistently when attached to livestock such as sheep and cattle. We helped deliver a tag that is designed in Bangalore, fabricated in China, assembled in the UK and sold globally.
- We designed a novel multi-layer ceramic antenna suitable for on-body use that works with existing IEC 18000-6C compatible UHF RFID tag ICs
- Working closely with Roxan we ensured that the tag fit into the robust and miniature TagFaster tag packaging - while optimising the range achieved
- We developed a tool to redesign the antenna for other frequencies and range requirements (currently scaling down to sub-10mm dimensions!)
- Successful trials in a number of countries including Australia, France and Ireland
- Redesigning the tags for other livestock such as cattle and novel research applications such as studying pollination patterns of honeybees